Abramović hitting the psychoanalysis nail on the head over and over again


DEENAH VOLLMER: Last night you hosted a "silent" party, in which all attendees wore white headphones, white lab coats and were prohibited from speaking.

ABRAMOVIĆ: [...] Then HBO said to me, "Let's do something incredible at Sundance." My movie is about silence, about a meditative state of mind, a different state of consciousness, and what it can do. I proposed a silent party to them. They said, "This is ridiculous. Nobody will understand. People have to talk about things." And then I said, "Okay, that's fine, do any party you want." Then they said, "Do you have another idea?" And I said, "This is a good idea. We either do this, or not." And then a week before they said, "Okay, let's try." That's how this party came to be. I enjoyed myself very much. There was something warm about the situation. I could touch and hold people. It had this function of showing that communication can be on so many different levels. It doesn't need to be empty conversation, which happens most of the time at parties. Whew, this was a long answer.

VOLLMER: It was a good answer. And a great party. My mom came with me to see the premiere on Friday. She's a psychiatrist and a psychoanalyst. And she said, "I don't know what the difference is between what Marina does and what I do."

ABRAMOVIĆ: Okay, I can answer that. The only difference is context. If you learn to be a psychoanalyst, and you're working as a psychoanalyst, your job is in that context. If you're a baker, making bread, you're a baker.

No comments:

Post a Comment